Posted by Clara Bayarri, Engineering Supervisor
This yr’s Android Dev Summit introduced plenty of updates associated to Large Screen development for Android, the 12L function drop on foldables and tablets – a set of options optimising Android 12 for giant screens, higher developer instruments and updates to Google Play purpose-built for giant screens. Listed here are the highest 3 issues it’s best to know:
#1: The 12L function drop for giant screens
12L makes Android 12 even higher on Giant Display screen units, with a bunch of recent refined UI throughout surfaces corresponding to notifications and the lock display. An important bulletins for builders included
- A renewed emphasis on multitasking. This implies all apps can now enter break up display mode, no matter whether or not they’re resizeable or not.
- New enhancements to compatibility mode
- New Activity Embedding APIs that let you present a number of actions facet by facet, making it simpler to construct giant display optimized layouts in present apps
To seek out out extra about what’s new, take a look at the What’s new for giant screens and foldables video and developer.android.com/12L .
#2: Making it simpler to construct for Giant Screens
Android has supported Giant Screens for a very long time, however we introduced a number of new instruments that will help you scale up your app’s UI to bigger type components.
- New Material Design Guidance focused at giant screens, together with a definition of common layout patterns prevalent within the ecosystem to assist encourage your app’s design
- Window Size Classes, a brand new framework of breakpoints designed to characterize the most typical type components within the ecosystem it’s best to design and develop for
- Updates to SlidingPaneLayout, the View part for two pane layouts, to assist Navigation
- New Compose APIs that make growing adaptive and responsive UI quite simple, together with Navigation Rail assist
- Android Studio reference units, a brand new set of machine profiles that characterize the widest vary doable of units within the ecosystem to check for
- Visible Lint delivered to Android Studio Format Validation to detect points with giant display layouts
- A model new Resizeable Emulator that may shortly toggle between the reference units
Be taught extra about all this stuff within the Constructing Android UIs for Any Display screen Dimension and Design stunning apps on foldables and huge screens talks, and take a look at the most recent Large Screen guide and Build adaptive layouts in Compose guide for extra. You too can take a look at Greatest practices for video apps on foldable units and Spotify Throughout Screens for examples on how apps are making this journey.
#3: Google Play updates for Giant Screens
To assist customers discover one of the best apps on tablets, foldables and ChromeOS units, we’ve received new adjustments in Play to advocate apps optimized for the massive display. This consists of new checks to assess app quality, so we will function giant display optimized apps and replace search rankings to indicate the absolute best apps for these units. We may even be introducing large screen specific app ratings, so customers will have the ability to fee how your app works on their giant display units.
You could find all of this yr’s Android Dev Summit talks associated to Giant Screens on this playlist, and the complete checklist of bulletins for Giant Screens in our blog post.