Posted by Bert de Weerd and Tingmui Li, Google Play
When Google Play launched in 2008, it was straightforward for builders to get observed with just a few hundred apps and video games stay on the Play Retailer. Quick ahead to at present, there at the moment are hundreds of thousands of apps and video games out there to audiences in over 190 international locations. The distinctive belongings you present to the Retailer – pictures, video, descriptions, even your app title itself – are important to customers making a choice on what to obtain.
Google Play is more and more displaying extra of your belongings entrance and middle, surfacing graphic belongings and descriptions proper on Apps and Video games house. To make sure that your retailer itemizing belongings may help customers anticipate your in-app or in-game expertise and drive significant downloads, we’re:
- Pre-announcing a coverage change for app metadata
- Introducing new pointers on Retailer itemizing preview belongings
1. Pre-announce coverage change for app metadata
Since your app title, icon, and developer title are an important discovery components in your retailer itemizing web page, we’re making ready to launch a brand new set of insurance policies to maintain these components recognizable and distinctive, specializing in:
- Limiting the size of app titles to 30 characters
- Prohibiting key phrases that suggest retailer efficiency, promotion within the icon, title and developer title
- Eliminating graphic components that will mislead customers within the app icon
App title, icon and developer title that don’t meet the upcoming insurance policies is not going to be allowed on Google Play. You may count on extra particulars about this coverage change, together with enforcement begin dates, later this yr.
We advocate reviewing the examples of do and don’t beneath and fascinated with how these adjustments could influence you, so you will get prepared for the upcoming coverage adjustments.
Retailer efficiency or rank:
Value and promotional info:
Play applications and graphic components that mislead customers:
Emoticons & repeated or sequential particular characters and or punctuations:
2. New pointers for Retailer itemizing preview belongings
We’re additionally saying new retailer itemizing preview asset pointers for the function graphics, screenshots, movies, and quick descriptions you provide to showcase your app’s options and performance. Belongings that don’t meet our pointers could also be ineligible for promotion and suggestion on main Google Play surfaces like Apps and Video games house.
The brand new guideline for developer provided belongings give attention to the next ideas:
- Do the preview belongings precisely symbolize the app or recreation?
- Do the preview belongings present sufficient info to assist customers resolve whether or not to put in?
- Are the preview belongings freed from buzzwords like “free” or “greatest” and as a substitute give attention to offering significant details about the distinctive facets of your app or recreation?
- Are the preview belongings localized appropriately and straightforward to learn?
To make sure that your apps and video games are eligible for suggestions on all surfaces on Google Play, please evaluate our new store listing guidelines. We’ll begin utilizing these pointers to tell our suggestions beginning within the second half of 2021.
We hope you discovered each the coverage pre-announcement and preview asset guideline announcement helpful as you intend your roadmap for the yr, and we hope you share in our pleasure for a extra helpful and fascinating Play Retailer.